The kids are back at school and it’s time to do something for yourself as a parent carer. Here are a few local initiatives that are all about looking after your own wellbeing.
– Free Wellbeing and Nature workshop at Moulsecoomb Forest Garden on Tuesday 11 September. Run by mental health charity, Mind, this is an opportunity to get back to nature, enjoy a free lunch, learn about the therapeutic benefit of the big outdoors and try some gardening and bushcraft activities. The workshop is from 10am to 12.30pm. To book or find out more, email Clare Nichols or call her on 01273 666963.
– Anna Savage is running free parent carer art workshops that focus on your wellbeing and provide an opportunity to try art activities with other parent carers and enjoy tea and cake. Designed for all abilities, you can drop-in or attend all the sessions which take place from 12.45 to 2.45pm on Wednesday 12 and 19 September, Wednesday 3 and 10 October and Wednesday 7, 14, 21 and 28 November at Ash Cottage, Warren Road, Woodingdean BN2 6DA. For more information, email Anna Savage.
– Resilience is an important tool that can help you to manage the stress associated with being a parent carer and Reaching Families is running a free (suggestion donation £3) ‘Handling Stress and Building Your Own Resilience’ event in Lancing from 9.45am to 12.30pm on Tuesday 18 September. This is an adult-only event and you can book your place at here.
– If you feel you’re suffering from low self-esteem, Brighton Women’s Centre is running a free eight week BOOST course that runs from 10.30am to 12.30pm on Tuesdays from 2 October to 4 December (with a two week break over Half Term). The course is run in small groups and the aim is to improve relationships and increase confidence. You’ll find all the information you need here, including how to apply. The deadline for applications is 9.30am on Monday 24 September.
– If your child attends Seaside View Child Development Centre in Brighton, there’s a free Mindfulness course starting on Wednesday 10 October with an orientation session from 10am to 12 noon and then weekly sessions on Wednesdays at the same time from 31 October to 19 December. All sessions are held at the Café Meeting Room, East Brighton Community Mental Health Centre on the Brighton General Hospital site. For more info or an application form, call 01273 265787.